Indian Memories of Meat – Smoked Meat Pickle from Arunachal Pradesh
"Usually it is gayal meat in my hometown."
"Smoked meat pickle is a true treat for the people from the Northeast. It is simple to make, and can be served with a meal or as a side dish," says sociologist and foodie Toko Anu. The meat can be anything from pork, beef or buff. Toko Anu says "usually it is gayal meat in my hometown."
1. ½ kg of smoked meat
2. ½ a cup of dried bamboo shoot
3. ½ a cup of roasted chilli powder
4. 4-5 cloves of garlic (smashed)
5. Salt to taste
6. 2 teaspoons of crushed Sichuan pepper (optional)
1. Cut the smoked meat into small pieces.
2. Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan.
3. Add smashed garlic in the oil.
4. Now add dry bamboo shoot and Sichuan pepper and mix well.
5. Sauté it for a minute or two.
6. Add the roasted chilli powder and mix well.
7. Add the smoked meat pieces.
8. Add salt to taste.
9. Once cooled, store it in a jar.
Donate to the Indian Writers' Forum, a public trust that belongs to all of us.